Pembina and Haisla Nation take FID on $4bn Cedar LNG project in Canada

Pembina and Haisla Nation take FID on bn Cedar LNG project in Canada

Pembina Pipeline and its partner, Haisla Nation, have taken a positive final investment decision (FID) on the Cedar LNG project in British Columbia, Canada.

The floating liquefied natural gas (FLNG) facility entails an estimated investment of around $4bn. Located within the traditional territory of the Haisla Nation in Kitimat, the Cedar LNG plant has a nameplate capacity of 3.3 million tonnes per annum (mtpa).

Cedar LNG is majority-owned by the Haisla Nation, which holds a stake of 50.1%, while the remaining 49.9% is held by Pembina Pipeline. It is expected to begin operations in late 2028.

Haisla Nation Chief Councillor Crystal Smith said: “Because of our Nation’s determination and environmental leadership, Cedar LNG will make the most significant mark on economic reconciliation ever in our country.

“With Cedar LNG, we have proven that Indigenous communities can successfully forge a path to economic independence and generational prosperity. We have created a model for how sustainable energy development should be done, with Indigenous Nations as owners, balancing environmental interests with global demand for cleaner energy.”

Located on Canada’s West Coast, the project is said to be positioned strategically to tap the abundant supply of natural gas from the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin to access global markets.