Nearly half of the planet’s bird species are in decline, according to a definitive report that paints the grimmest picture yet of the destruction of avian life.
The State of the World’s Birds report, which is released every four years by BirdLife International, shows that the expansion and intensification of agriculture is putting pressure on 73% of species. Logging, invasive species, exploitation of natural resources and climate breakdown are the other main threats.
- GLOBALLY 49% OF BIRD SPECIES ARE DECLINING
- 1 IN 8 ARE THREATENED WITH EXTINCTION
- AT LEAST 187 SPECIES HAVE GONE EXTINCT SINCE 1500
- SINCE 1970, 2.9 BILLION INDIVIDUAL BIRDS (29%) HAVE BEEN DESTROYED IN NORTH AMERICA
- SINCE 1980 600 MILLION BIRDS (19%) HAVE BEEN DESTROYED IN EUROPE